I moved to Cranbrook 3 years ago to begin my bachelors of education and to play for the Avalanche volleyball team. For my first 2 years, I hated Cranbrook. I thought the city was grey, dusty, dirty, and overall gross! I enjoyed my social life and school life but always thought once I graduated I would leave the dirty, dusty, streets of Cranbrook. It was not until my third year that I began seeing the beauty of Cranbrook and the Kootenay’s. I met my boyfriend who is and avid hunter and hiker an my best friend Justyn who began showing me the incredible back country near Cranbrook. I am learning to love Cranbrook and the surrounding land; however, as someone who is new and unsettled, finding one sit-spot has proven difficult. Back home I would simply sit somewhere by the ocean. It’s where I feel most calm. I am yet to find that spot here in Cranbrook, so my sit-spots tend to change and adapt to my ever changing perspective and appreciation for Cranbrook.

Today I found myself sitting and staring at the willow tree overlooking Moyie Lake. I thought the water would make me feel at home, it didn’t. But it made me feel tranquil, at peace, and in tune with the environment. I got to hear the wind whistling off of the lake, through the trees, and on my skin. I felt a sense of relief. No school worries, no social life worries, no work worries. Pure tranquility. I was glad to take some time out of the confines of my bedroom (aka homeschool desk, aka homework room, aka home theatre) and look away from my computer.

So, this may not be my permanent sit-spot. I don’t think it’s where I will find myself daily or weekly, but I am beginning to feel a sense of place here in Cranbrook and a sit-spot will come at some point.

Attached is a video from this sit-spot from March of 2020 as the ice began to melt.

recorded-2698027826898